Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Mother of All Mothers

My mother will be celebrating her 91st birthday tomorrow, Feb 11. So this past Sunday, My Love and I gathered with my brother, Allan, and Cousin Art and his wife, Irma at my mother's home for dinner and partying. Besides good food and fun games, we did some reminiscing (of course, what are birthdays for if not to remember!?).

Even though my Mom is completing 91 years, she is a young 75. For the past 30 years she has been visiting the "old" people in the nursing homes, taking communion to them, helping them out to the Masses that are celebrated frequently by different retired priests and just bringing a bit of joy into their lives. She also belongs to a Senior Citizen Singing group that visits the nursing homes, retirement centers and assisted living homes to sing all the old time songs. They have also performed at the Iowa State Fair for several years.


She is truly a woman of faith. When my father, her husband, died very suddenly of a heart attack nearly 38 years ago, she was left with my two youngest sisters still at home, one in 8th grade, one a senior in high school. Two days after the funeral, I remember sitting with her at the kitchen table, reflecting on the whole situation. She said two things that have stuck with me over the years. At one point, she said: "I know that he is better off, and so I couldn't wish him back." Then, a short time later she said: "I don't know how people handle something like this without faith." She has always been a rock of faith for all of us in our family.

But she also has a realistic sense of humor. Because I am the oldest child, I of course have not forgotten her comment many years ago: "Raising children should be like breaking in a waffle iron. You should be able to throw the first one away!" Assuredly she would have missed out on a lot of fun, but maybe she wouldn't have quite as many gray hairs!

As we celebrate her gift of life this week, I salute her, honor her and love her for the pillar of faith, love and trust that she has been for all of us. Every family should be so blessed.

2 comments:

  1. A woman of faith, a woman of strong character and the strength to love and let go as she did...not wanting him back because now he is in a better place! How many of us could be that other centered and loving! Adeline truly is an example and a wonder woman to have as my Mother-In-Law. Thanks, Adeline, for you and for the beautiful family you raised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gail said,
    So well stated, Ron! We thank God for Mom, too! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete